Friday 30 June 2017

Literacy Reflection Week 9 Term 2 2017

This week for Literacy I have been working on my speech and Word Work. For Word Work I picked 9 words that I would use in my speech. When we have chosen our words, we do the usual definitions, sentences and Origins. Did you know the origin of Died is Middle English and Old Norse? Here is my Word Work:


Words:
Lady in waiting
Beheaded
Divorced
Died
Survived
Wives
Heartbroken
Young
Old
Royal
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Definitions:


Royal: Descended from or related to the line of kings, Queens etc.
Beheaded: To cut of a head or kill someone.
Heartbroken: Crushed with sorrow or Grief.
Divorced: Total separation or disunion.
Old: Had advanced in one’s or it’s life.
Young: When you are not old and in the beginning of your life.
Wives: A woman who is married to a man.
Died: When someone passes away with illness or old age.
Survived: To remain or stay in existence.
Lady in waiting: The queen’s assistant.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Origins:


Lady in waiting: None.
Beheaded: Middle & Old English.
Divorced: Middle English, Latin & Anglo-French.
Died: Middle English & Old Norse.
Survived: Late Middle English, Latin & Middle French.
Wives: Old English.
Heartbroken: None.
Young: Middle & Old English.
Old: Middle & Old English.
Royal: Middle English, Middle French & Latin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sentences:


Lady in waiting: The lady in waiting was in the castle courtyard assisting the queen with her roses.
Beheaded: King Henry 8th Beheaded 2 of his wives.
Divorced: King Henry 8th divorced Anne of Cleves because she was ugly.
Died: Jane Seymour died a couple of weeks after she gave birth to Prince Edward.
Survived: When King Henry 8th died, Catherine Parr survived and married her former love, Thomas Seymour.
Wives: King Henry 8th had 6 wives.
Heartbroken: When Jane Seymour  died, King Henry 8th was Heartbroken.
Young: Kathryn Howard was a young teenager and King Henry 8th was 49 years old.
Old: King Henry 8th was old when he married Kathryn Howard.
Royal: King Henry was a royal man.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also this Week I have been preparing my speech on King Henry 8th and his 6 wives. Just like last year, I am participating in Speech board where I can get a badge and a rating like distinction, merit and a couple others. In the past I have got my speeches rated distinction. I started doing speech board since I was a Year 3, and now I am a Year 6. I am hoping to get distinction this year!!!

Next term I will post my speech on my blog so you can see it!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.