Wednesday 6 November 2019

Literacy-Funny Recount

In literacy today, we had to write a funny recount or personal experience. I chose to write about a time when I went on holiday in America, where we swam with dolphins. This is the piece that I've done:

A journey to the bottom of the dolphin’s enclosure


When I was eight years old, I went on a six-week holiday to America. At one part of our trip, we visited the Florida Keys and went to a dolphin research center. It wasn’t the sunniest of days and was quite cold, especially in the water. I went with my brother, dad and uncle, with my mum and aunty taking photos of us. We were in a group with another family, two dolphins and a dolphin trainer/tour guide. The two dolphin’s names were Reece (three years old at the time) and Gypsy (eight years old at the time). We met both of them, fed them, played with them while the trainer told us about them. The two could do amazing tricks like front and back flips, posing in the air and going upside down in the water with their tails up and going back and forth. I remember the instructor saying that the dolphin’s pools were around thirty meters deep, all in natural water that had been fenced off. This was before we were able to hold onto the dolphin’s dorsal fins and swim or water skiing with them around the enclosure. Knowing the fact about how deep the pool was, I wasn’t as sure about swimming with the dolphins, but once I got started with Reece the dolphin, I was fine. Well………. Since Reece was only three years old, this meant that he was very cheeky, probably the equivalent to a naughty toddler. I grabbed onto his dorsal fin (that’s the fin on the top of the dolphin’s body) gently and let Reece pull me around the pool slowly. Soon I started laughing, so Reece went faster and faster, I laughed more and more until Reece decided that he was going to take me on an underwater tour of his very deep enclosure, which, as I said before, I was a little unsure about. The barrel rolled a few times before diving down into the dark water. A few seconds after this, I realised what was happening and quickly let go of Reece’s fin and surfaced out of the water, right at the back of the enclosure, a bit away from the platform where everyone else was standing. The trainer asked if I was alright (which I was) and sent Reece back over to pick me up after he surfaced. When he came past, I grabbed onto the fin and Reece took me back to the platform, where Reece was then told off. After this experience, I know think that it was quite funny and I’m glad that it happened. I wonder what would happen if I went back and did the whole thing again……………..

By Kyra J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.