Friday 2 June 2017

Cross Country Reflection

Here is a story of my Cross Country 2017.

Cross Country

On your marks, get set, go! Shouts Mrs Bailey over the screams and shouts of cheers. There I was running from the start line to the hurdles~huh, huh, huh, huh.  I jogged round the corner and out onto the footpath on Milton Road which joined onto Joyce crescent where I ran down the hill. When I reached Miss Reissmann (my teacher) I hit the brakes until I realized that I had to race down the small, steep hill which led me through the teacher’s car park and onto the field next to the administration block. There was a new obstacle in the place of the hula~hoops… Tyres, dun, dun, dun!!! The first time I tried to run through them, I thought I would trip over them and become last place! Luckily I made it through them with Mrs Prendergast’s encouragement and I was off again racing round the muddy track and in through the  goalposts where I got my one tally from Miss Hines. When I passed Miss Hines she told me: Go and catch then up!!! Which was followed by Go, Go, Go!

With her encouragement I ran past the grandstand full with screaming and shouting kids, girls and boys either waiting to race or are puffing from their race. It was the final lap now, I race through the obstacles for the second time; over the hurdles, huh, huh, huh, huh, over the plastic snakes and through the tires. I was on the final stretch, my legs were aching and I felt like I couldn’t breathe, but when I passed Miss Hines and Miss Power,I was awoken from my aches and I am at the finish line! Well done Kyra Johnson says Mrs Costello, wrapping her arm around my shoulder and slowly walking me over to the house color tent where I told Mrs Clark my house and my name. Dragging my sore legs and feet,  I force myself over to the packed grandstand where I collapsed onto my jersey and take a GIANT gulp from my small water bottle and close my eyes, trying to block the deafening sound  from the inside of the grandstand.. Soon Cross Country finished and all of the tired kids had lunch and a play, did school work for the rest of the afternoon~boring, boring, boring! On Tuesday I was cheered up-Luckily by the form I had got to go to  Kumara for the West Coast Cross Country because I had come 3rd!

I really enjoyed cross country because I got a better score than last time which was a BONUS and I can’t wait until I go to West Coast!!!

Author: Kyra Johnson~This story is based on the truth!




6 comments:

  1. Excellent account of your race- well done and a woop woop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi kyra what a fantastic piece of writing. I loved the descriptive play on words. This was great for the reader well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi kyra what a fantastic piece of writing. I loved the descriptive play on words. This was great for the reader well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kyra,

    This an awesome piece of writing. I love some of the words you used. And also, congratulations on getting 3rd!

    Great Blog Post!

    Prudence,
    Yaldhurst Model School

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia Ora Kyra!
    This is such a great story I was sooo hooked in on it! I liked how you have told us where you ran like for example how you said we ran around the corner and onto Milton Road which is joint to Joyce Cresent that makes it sound very detailed! I also liked how you desribed the path and the grass! This is such a great story I have nothing that you need to work on! Did you find the cross country fun?? I know I did!
    From Katelynn F (Mamaku 1)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bulla Kyra my name is Angelina and I go to Grey Main School. I like how you said how you were feeling. Next time you could put what obstacles was the hard for you.
    This reminds me when I did it and I fell over the tires. I was cheering for you so much that I thought that i broke my voice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.