Friday 27 December 2019

SLJ Week 1 Activity 6 2019

When I went to Blenheim once for a Gymnastics Development Squad training for a couple of days, I learnt many new tricks on the different apparatuses (bar, beam, floor and vault). On the bar during one of the training's, the coaches taught me how to do giants. If you don't know what a gymnastics bar is, here's a picture:


Image attribution: Madison Kocian - Uneven Bars - 2016 P&G Gymnastics Championships – Sr. Women Day 2, YouTube.

A giant is when you hold onto the high bar (the one that is higher up) and go around it completely with only your hands to control/support you. It's quite scary when you do it for the first time, even if you have adult support and straps around your wrists that connect to the bar so you don't fall. I think this is a time when I was brave, and when other first-time-giant-attempting-gymnasts were brave. It's quite fun though, once the scary part is gone!



2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Kyra,

    Thanks for sharing your post about a time when you were brave! How long have you been doing gymnastics for? I definitely think you must be very brave to swing around a bar like that.

    Do you ever compete or perform in front of crowds? I didn’t get much of a chance to do gymnastics when I was in school, but I love playing sports and staying active when I can.

    Well done on choosing your image and remembering to attribute it as well! You’re doing a great job Kyra, keep going :)

    Beren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Kyra, Katelynn here!

    This is a great blog post. I like how you included an image, it looks great. Doing a giant must have been quite scary. But once you had done it once you would have been quite happy.

    Keep up the great work Kyra.

    Katelynn

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.